Fauquier Health’s cardiac catheterization lab performs a variety of diagnostic procedures that provide cardiologists with a detailed look at what is happening inside and outside the heart. Through the use of catheterization and X-ray technology, a catheter is placed in either the groin or wrist. The dye that is distributed through the catheter provides a moving synopsis of area of focus.
Fauquier Health’s Catheterization Lab offers diagnostic procedures such as:
- Left Heart Catheterizations – evaluates the heart pumping functions
- Right Heart Catheterizations – measures pressures and oxygen levels in the four heart chambers and arteries
- Pacemaker Implant – helps the patient’s heart beat at a more normalized pace
- Pericardiocentesis – removal of fluid buildup around heart
- Hemodynamics assessment – shows blood flow and oxygen levels in the heart
Fauquier Health's catheterization lab is capable of performing interventions such as stent placement and balloon angioplasty to open up blockages in the coronary arteries. Interventional procedures can be completed while the patient is conscious. Medication is given to promote relaxation but enables the patient to respond to questions and complete certain requests of movement to help with the imaging results.
For additional information, call the Fauquier Health Referral Line at 540.316.3588.